Nautical angle calculator
This calculator is used to add and subtract angles in the form used in the Nautical Almanac,
a publication with data used for navigation by ships.
The angles in this publication are expressed in degrees in the usual way (0° to 359°),
each degree is divided into 60 minutes, but each minute is divided into ten decimals (and not into 60 seconds).
- Thus: 34° 59.9' is read as 34 degrees 59.9 minutes.
- and: 34° 59.9' + 0.1' = 35° 00.0'
The calculator adds or subtracts input values from the running total in the top window.
- Enter a value in two parts: the degrees in one field and minutes in the other.
- Press Enter. The input value will be entered into the running total, replacing whatever was there. Or:
- Press either the Plus or Minus button to add/subtract the input from the running total.
The decimal part of the minutes output is rounded to 1 decimal place to be consistent with navigation practice.
However, the internal result is kept to the highest possible precision so that
successive operations do not produce a cumulative error.
Automatic conversion to Degrees - Minutes - Seconds
Whenever the calculator outputs a new result it also displays it in the Degrees - Minutes - Seconds format just below the main display window.
See also Degrees - Minutes - Seconds angle calculator.
Other angle topics
(C) 2011 Copyright Math Open Reference. All rights reserved